Monday, July 9, 2012

The Search for Elizabeth I continues...

Westminster Abbey
I was excited for today's "field trip" to Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, and the National Gallery because I knew I would be able to continue my search for Elizabeth I.  

The day began with a wonderful tour of Westminster Abbey with Hugh, one of the "blue badge" guides.    Westminster was founded in the 11th century by Edward the Confessor.  This is the site of many royal ceremonies, including the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton last year.  

Westminster has been the site for every King or Queen's coronation since 1066! It is also the resting place for about 3,300 people.  Elizabeth I had her coronation at Westminster on January 15, 1559.  It is also where she was interred after her death in 1603. Elizabeth was buried in the same vault as her half-sister, Mary I; however, only Elizabeth's effigy appears on the tomb erected above the grave. Unfortunately, there is no photography allowed inside the Abbey, so I bought some postcards and took photos of those.

The Coronation Chair was built in 1301

Eiffigy of Queen Elizabeth I
After a lovely picnic lunch in St. James Park, we went to Trafalgar Square for some transportation photography.  Once I had my picture captured I ventured into the National Portrait Gallery to find some of my favorite paintings of Queen Elizabeth.  It was very exciting as I had only ever seen these portraits in books.  Seeing them life-size, and up close, was very cool!  As with Westminster Abbey, I had to purchase postcards of these portraits.  Photos that I took of the postcards are what appear below.  Enjoy!

The Coronation Portrait
Unknown artist, c. 1600
(copy of original c. 1559)


The Armada Portrait - attributed to
George Gower, c. 1588

The Ditchley Portrait
Marcus Gheeraerts
the Younger, c. 1592

 For more information about the portraits show here, visit: National Portrait Gallery - Room 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment